Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Want vs. Need

Oh how we want the best for ourselves, our families, our friends. But do we know what the true NEED behind the want is? What are we trying to achieve? I have had a hard time with this reality here lately. With my lil' monkey turning 3 I have been dying to change her "nursery" into a big girl room. This of course comes on the heals of her finally climbing out of her crib. OH GRACIOUS you say? Yeah I would say the same thing and I have said that to friends that keep their kids in cribs past 2. Now I realize....the longer you can contain them...the more sleep you get!

I went on my want vs. need journey is trying to find exactly what I wanted to make her room "big girl" style. At first I wanted a storage platform bed and a matching dresser. then I found this over the top castle bed (every girl's dream but definitely beyond my Dave Ramsey budget). Then I found a dollhouse bed and matching dresser. I was SOLD!!! Then I got the most amazing deal I had to turn down. The set sells for just under $4000. I could have gotten it for $1200....I was crushed. Our budget for her entire room isnt supposed to be over $400. I cried. It is definitely what I want for my child but trying to be the grown up I claim to be I needed to realize it isnt what SHE NEEDS!!! She just wants to be a big girl. She just wants to use her tinkerbell sheets. She just wants to sleep in a bed like her brother's.....It was MY want that was getting in the way of all this.

Today, I found my need. I love antique's and I wanted her (originally) to have a cute modernly antique style of furniture if that makes sense...I think most call it Shabby Chic! While looking on craigslist I found it all.....well everything but the bed. Plenty of dresser space, plenty of room for toys and books, and a mirror that oddly enough looks like a crown! Just in time since her birthday is Sunday. She saw it and went to screaming "ITS MY BIG GIRL ROOM"

Looking back I can see God all over this...what a lesson!!! How often do we THINK we know what we want? How often do we strive for that goal just to realize it was never a realistic option for our lives? God knows best doesn't He? He gently guides us from that we "think" is best and shows us His way....and it's ALWAYS better. Are you dealing with something you "want" right now? Ask God if it is what you NEED and see if He might know a better way for your life. You never know what opportunity my arise when you sit back and wait on the Lord.

Jesus said, "I am the vine, ye are the branches: he that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without [separately, apart from] me ye can do nothing" (John 15:5)

1 comment:

  1. <3 you are wonderful just the way you are;) Love the way you can deliver a message

    ReplyDelete